POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray & Databases : Re: POV-Ray & Databases Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:26:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray & Databases
From: Florian Brucker
Date: 4 Nov 2004 19:11:07
Message: <418ac51b$1@news.povray.org>
> So,
> how usefull would it be to have an embedded database in POV-Ray? What kind
> of things could one do then? Could it be helpfull for particle systems?
> Could it be helpfull for keeping persistent data between rendering frames
> of an animation?

As Mark already mentioned, POV has its own file I/O. IMHO we don't need
a database support with POV-Ray, but better file I/O. Right now, it's
limited to comma-seperated values, and IIRC some of them are also
automagically parsed, etc. I'd like to have a file I/O which at least
lets me read in a text file line by line (returning the whole line as a
string).

If you add a exec-command (to execute external programs), it would
enable us to write the database support as a inc-file, a method which I
would prefer (not dependant on database-type, etc.). Of course
introducing an exec-command creates a big new potential for malicious
pov scripts. So there should be perhaps some restrictive options on that
command, like we have the I/O-restrictions right now.

Better file-I/O could be the key to a lot more interesting plugins for
POV in include-files (as opposed to patches). Things like
file-format-converters, analytical stuff, etc. And as far as it's
strings only, it would also be pretty portable, aside from the line
endings, of course.

Just my 0.02$
Florian
--
camera{look_at-y*10location<8,-3,-8>*10}#local a=0;#while(a<999)sphere{
#local _=.01*a-4.99;#local p=a*.01-5;#local c=.01*a-4.995;<sin(p*pi)*5p